Recently, I went online to find my abuelita the top deals on everything from seafood to cell phone plans. By keeping her on budget, it insures she’ll still have money to spoil me! Here’s what I discovered.
Top 2 memberships to get: 1.) A library card 2.) An AARP card. Library memberships are FREE, offer tons of options in English & Spanish, and no ID is required to open a membership- just a bill with your address! AARP membership fees are as low as $12.40 annually and well worth the price for the great discounts you get on everything from restaurants to car rentals.
You have free time, so enjoy it!
- Libraries: Offer free books, movies, and music in English and Spanish that you can borrow and take home to enjoy! Los Angeles Public Library, Austin Public Library and New York Public Library, offer additional programs and activities in Spanish. Be sure to check out your local library.
- Movies: Want to go and see the latest movie on the big screen? Carmike, Regal and Showcase Cinemas offer discounted tickets to anyone over 60. Regal and Showcase even let you buy lower-priced popcorn, so be sure to bring along a hungry grandkid (or two)!
- Avid Readers and AAPR Members: Amazon.com offers 10% off select print and audio books. Can’t wait for your next mystery to be delivered? Download it now to your Kindle e-reader and you could save as much as 50%.
- Comida: Sit down and enjoy a nice meal at Bonefish Grill, Carrabba’s Italian Grill, and Outback Steakhouse. Each gives a delectable 15% discount to AARP members. At Denny’s and IHOP diners, adults over 55 order from a lower-priced menu.
- Sweet Tooth?: Dunkin’ Donuts gives AARP members a free donut with the purchase of a large coffee.
- Fast Food Cravings?: Stop by Wendy’s and receive a 10% discount at most locations.
The kids have moved out and you’re no longer trapped at work. Now’s the time to travel!
- National Parks: There’s no doubt about it, America has some incredible natural scenery. Yellowstone, Grand Canyon Yosemite are considered some of the best national parks. With an America the Beautiful Pass, U.S. citizens aged 62 or over get discounted entrance to 2,000 National Park sites across the USA. A lifetime pass costs only $20.00.
- Airlines: American, Southwest and United offer discounts to passengers 65 or older. Be sure to ask before booking your next flight.
- Car Rental: AARP members who rent a car with AVIS could save up to 25%. At Budget Car Rental, AARP members get as much as 30% off base rates, while Hertz has a special “baby boomer” deal for customers aged 50 and over.
- Let’s Go on a Cruise: Sailing the seas just got better, cruise lines: Carnival, Norwegian, Windstar, and Royal Caribbean offer discounts to the 55 and over crowd. Visit their websites to learn more.
- Hotels: Best Western, La Quinta, and Choice Hotels (parent company of Comfort Inn and Quality Inn) offer 10% discounts to individuals over 55. Hyatt is particularly generous. If you take advantage of their “senior citizen” travel rates within the US, you save up to 50%.
- Get your Eyes Checked: If you’re finding this website harder to read than usual, have your vision checked at Target Optical, where AARP members receive 60% off on an exam, 30% off eyeglasses and 20% off contacts. Lens Crafters offers AARP members a 60% discount on exams and 30% off glasses.
- Hearing: Missing out on conversations? By joining AARP’s special Hearing Care Program, you could save on custom-fit hearing aids and receive a free 3-year supply of batteries.
- Pets: Devoted to your chihuahua? Save money on your vet bills by purchasing insurance online through Pet Plan. AARP members get 10% off premiums.
Retirement is the time to spoil yourself!
- Flowers: 1-800-FLOWERS gives AARP members a 20% discount on any order, the perfect excuse to purchase those spring tulips you’ve been wanting.
- Clothing: Those shoulder-pad blouses from the 1980’s are definitely out of style, luckily Kohl’s, Dress Barn, and Banana Republic offer stylish clothing for those over 55 at discounted prices. By shopping for shoes at Clarks and Rockport Outlet, you save as much as 20%.
- Staying Connected: You can’t put a price on staying in touch with family. Thankfully, it doesn’t need to cost you your grandchildren’s inheritance to call them. At AT&T, AARP members enjoy 10% off monthly services and 15% off accessories. Consumer Cellular is a no-contract cellphone provider that offers AARP members 5% off monthly rates. Plans start as low as $10/month.
Getting older doesn’t mean slowing down. Be sure to take advantage of sweet discounts that will stretch your money farther. For more great tips and discounts, visit pennyhoarder.com.